My enthusiasm for young adult fiction may have reached its pinnacle this past week.
If you, like me, savor this genre of reading material then you also know that the movie Divergent will be in theaters this week. To celebrate this special event, a friend of mine assigned the book of the same name as this months book-club read. Upon completion of reading something for a book-club, typically you gather together to discuss feelings about your experience reading the book. YA fiction fans do things a little differently.
Here is a schedule of events for our book-club meeting:
•As you enter you will be greeted by a table upon which the 5 factions are displayed. Here you should choose a tattoo and use the small dish of water and cotton applicators to mark yourself before full entrance into the event.
•Take the following test to determine which faction you will continue on with in the choosing ceremony:
1. You most want your friends and family to see you as someone who…
- A. Is willing to make sacrifices and help anyone in need.
- B. Is liked by everyone.
- C. Is trustworthy.
- D. Will protect them no matter what happens.
- E. Offers wise advice.
2. When you are faced with a difficult problem, you react by…
- A. Doing whatever will be the best thing for the greatest number of people.
- B. Creating a work of art that expresses your feelings about the situation.
- C. Debating the issue with your friends.
- D. Facing it head-on. What else would you do?
- E. Making a list of pros and cons, and then choosing the option that the evidence best supports.
3. What activity would you most likely find yourself doing on the weekend or an unexpected day off?
- A. Volunteering.
- B. Painting, dancing, or writing poetry.
- C. Sharing opinions with your friends.
- D. Rock climbing or skydiving!
- E. Catching up on your homework or reading for pleasure.
4. If you had to select of of the following options as a profession, which would you choose?
- A. Humanitarian.
- B. Farmer.
- C. Judge.
- D. Firefighter.
- E. Scientist.
5. When choosing you outfit for the day, you select…
- Whatever will attract the least amount of attention.
- B. Something comfortable, but interesting to look at.
- C. Something that’s simple but still expresses your personality.
- D. Whatever will attract the most attention.
- E. Something that will not distract or inhibit you from what you have to do that day.
6. If you discovered that a friend’s significant other was being unfaithful, you would…
- A. Tell your friend because you feel that it is unhealthy for him or her to continue in a relationship where such selfish behavior is present.
- B. Sit them both down so that you can act as a mediator when they talk it over.
- C. Tell your friend as soon as possible. You can’t imagine keeping that knowledge a secret.
- D. Confront the cheater! You might also take action by slashing the cheater’s tires or egging his or her house—all in the name of protecting your friend, of course.
- E. Keep it to yourself, statistics show that your friend will find out eventually.
7. What would you say is your highest priority right now?
- A. Serving those around you.
- B. Finding peace and happiness for yourself.
- C. Seeking truth in all things.
- D. Developing your strength of character.
- E. Success in work or school.
•To determine your faction, simply add up the number you have of each letter. Depending on your propensity towards being selfless, honest, peaceful, intelligent, or brave, you will either continue as Abnegation, Candor, Amity, Erudite, or Dauntless respectively.
•Once you have chosen your faction, you, along with the other members of your faction, will start on a journey that will take you from home base to the grocery store 2 miles away on foot in 20 degree weather through the snow. Without getting caught.
I almost didn’t go. I didn’t really want to. I’m so glad I did!
Even though I am not a good runner, and it was very cold, and I was hiding in bushes and against people’s houses wearing all black while dogs barked at us, and we easily could have been identified as criminals and stopped by authorities (I mean look at us, don’t we look scary??), it was definitely worth it. Especially since my group got there first.
I would definitely be Dauntless now. Can’t wait to see the movie!